Many long-time visitors to the site know that we live in Sonoma, California. As you are likely aware, during the past week we experienced one of the worst wildfire disasters in state history. During this time, my family was under advisory evacuation, with mandatory evacuations taking place just a few blocks away. We wisely evacuated to stay with family members in nearby Terra Linda. The smoke was so thick in and around our house that we had trouble breathing, and the fumes were very unhealthy. Our house was at the highest risk on Wednesday evening, as a fire was burning nearby on the hills above where we lived. High winds were forecast for the evening and we had a Red Flag warning. Fortunately, the winds shifted direction during the night and the fire blew away from our house rather than towards it. Thus, our home was spared. But several of our friends lost their homes during these fires. After one week, the advisory evacuation has now been lifted and we were able to return home. So just letting everyone know we are home safe, grateful we have a home to return to.
I hope to see you all in Death Valley in November.